Bia Villas Bôas
Dr. Villas Bôas is a physical oceanographer who combines observations, theory, and modeling to help bridge the gap between the ocean and the atmosphere and further our understanding of how coupled air-sea interactions affect the environment. In particular, her research lies at the forefront of quantifying how ocean surface-wave physics shape global climate processes, and impact measurements from remote sensing platforms.
Bia received a PhD in 2020 from Scripps Institution of Oceanography at UC San Diego. Before joining Mines, she was a postdoctoral scholar at Caltech/JPL.
- PhD, 2020, Oceanography, University of California San Diego
- MS, 2014, Oceanography, University of São Paulo
- BS, 2012, Physics, Federal University of Rio Grande do Norte
- Physical oceanography
- Remote sensing
- Air-sea interactions
- Ocean surface waves
- Coupled modeling of winds, currents, and waves
- Scientific computing education